Pori Drwy Stori is an exciting programme based on books, stories and rhymes. Every 4- to 5-year-old in maintained schools will take part, with funding from the Welsh Government. BookTrust Cymru has worked with experts across Wales to develop resources for teachers, parents and carers and children.
Pori Drwy Stori will provide bilingual materials for schools and families:
- The Rhyme Challenge is about having fun learning and reciting rhymes and poetry
- My Weather Watch Calendar – this is a family activity for the autumn half term break. Recording different types of weather will help children to develop their maths skills in the early years.
- Boomerang Book Bags - a set of book bags for children to take turns with at home, including a magazine for each child to keep.
- Hide and Sheep cards - each child will receive a set of Hide and Sheep cards to take home. There are lots of fun games to play with the cards both in the classroom and at home.
- My Book gives each child the chance to create their own book to keep
- The Unicorn's Challenge magazine – the fun activities in the magazine are linked to the Foundation Phase and created to be used with your child at the end of their Reception year. They encourage your child to speak, listen and make decisions.
We hope that your family will enjoy taking part in Pori Drwy Stori and will have fun together sharing a love of books, stories and rhymes.
Learning at home
Pori Drwy Stori can help your child gain confidence with words in a fun way. You can help your child to get the most out of Pori Drwy Stori by:
- Learning and saying or singing their rhymes as part of the Rhyme Challenge
- Reading and talking about books together at home
- Writing your own five star review of your child’s book that they’ve written and illustrated as part of My Book.
Using your library
Your local library will be able to give you lots of ideas and advice about great books to support your child’s learning. Libraries are open to everyone and are free to join, and books are free to borrow too and libraries no longer charge late fees for children's books.
Free posters and other resources
Here are some free downloads to help you support your child’s reading at home:
Ten illustrated A4 rhyme sheets; five rhymes in English and five in Welsh.
This term we have an additional ten rhymes for your class to enjoy. Five in English and five in Welsh.
How to use My Weather Watch Calendar
This is a family activity for the autumn half term break. Recording different types of weather will help children to develop their maths skills in the early years.
This booklet includes:
- weather record sheet
- summary sheet
Watch this video to find out how the Pori Drwy Stori programme is making a difference both at school and at home.
A booklet filled with tips and information to help you support your child's reading at home.
The Welsh Government's Education Begins at Home group provides information on how you can support your child at home and help their performance in school. Follow the group on Facebook.